Your Significant Relationships
The impact of an unplanned pregnancy on a romantic relationship
Did you know?
- Among mothers who were single at the time of conception, 70% were single two years after the birth.*
- More than one-third of women who were living with their partner at the time of conception and whose pregnancy was unplanned broke up with their partner by the baby's second birthday.*
- Among couples who remained together after the birth, both mothers and fathers reported significantly lower relationship happiness if at least one member of the couple did not plan the pregnancy.**1
- Relationship conflict, reported by both mothers and fathers, was also significantly higher if at least one member of the couple reported that the birth followed an unplanned pregnancy.**2
For some great resources and information about how to have a healthy relationship, visit Love Is Respect.
*The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy | DCR Report, Section G: Stability of Parent Relationships Following an Unplanned Pregnancy and Birth (2008-2010)
**The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy | DCR Report, Section H: Relationship Quality of Parents Who Report an Unplanned Pregnancy and Birth (2008-2010)
1. Compared to those couples who both agreed that the pregnancy was planned, net of other background characteristics.
2. Compared to those couples who agree that the pregnancy was planned, net of other background characteristics.